About Me

I feel the wanderlust and the call of the open highway. Which is good, because I drive cars for a living. But I'm a writer, and someday hope to once again make my living using my writing skills.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

SUFFERING DEMENTIA

The adventures in travel continue. I drove a minivan from Florida to Ohio for an elderly man who seemed very confused about who I was and why I came to Ft. Myers asking for the keys to his van. We drove together to a gas station so he could fill it up, and on the way back to his condo he screamed about a spaceship that flew down and cut right in front of us.

Back at the condo, he asked me to please pack up all his stuff. That is not the job of a driver, but I decided to be nice and help him out. When I came into his condo for my second load, he shouted, "Who are you? What are you doing in my condominium? Are you robbing me?" I gently reminded him that I was his driver, and was simply packing his stuff as asked. To which he smiled and stuck out his hand to introduce himself, for about the fifth time that day.

En route to Ohio, he called me and asked who I was. Said he didn't recognize the number in the memory of his cell phone. I told him I was the driver, and he said he was so relieved, that he was under the impression that someone had stolen his minivan. Then I got a series of calls from him strongly encouraging me to be careful, and to please not flip over his minivan or get into any kind of bloody accident.

After I had dropped off the minivan in Columbus, Ohio, he called me the next day to say I had left a sweater in his car. I explained that I do not own any sweaters. He said it had to be mine, he was just sure of it, because "...it's black and it's wooly and big and comfortable... and... hey, you know something, this is my sweater."

The continuing adventures of the Driving Fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment