About Me

I feel the wanderlust and the call of the open highway. Which is good, because I drive cars for a living. But I'm a writer, and someday hope to once again make my living using my writing skills.

Thursday, April 16, 2020

CORONAVIRUS HEROES

The second week of March, just before the worldwide pandemic got really bad in the U.S., I was still driving and delivering cars.  I had picked up a car in Tulsa that was going to my hometown of Birmingham, where I had not been for nearly a year.  Just driving to and fro back and forth across this great country.

My malevolent boss Riff had called just before I reached Birmingham to tell me that all deliveries were postponed indefinitely.  He told me to stay in Birmingham and sit on the car until further notice.  As I drove into town, my stomach started growling loudly so I knew it was time to fuel up my body.  I pulled into a Panera Bread near my apartment in Vestavia Hills and went inside thinking about tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich to go.

I went inside and there was a surprisingly long line.  I waited patiently for 15 minutes, then noticed an elderly gent standing behind me wearing a white coat.  He had a nametag telling me he was Dr. Jones.  "Excuse me sir, please go ahead of me," I said to him.

Dr. Jones looked surprised.  "I don't mind waiting."

"Please, I insist.  I want you to be able to get back to work as soon as possible.  Plus I want to express my thanks for all of the good work all of you are doing."

I stepped behind the doctor, and he smiled at me and nodded.  "Well, if you insist.  This is very kind of you."

"Believe me, it's my pleasure."

"I'm Bud Jones."

"Nice to meet you, Dr. Jones.  I'm Bill Thomas."

"Please, call me Buddy.  You'll pardon me if I don't shake your hand."

"I completely understand, I've been hearing on the warnings on the radio."

"It's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better," he said.

"What's your specialty?"

"I joined the Air Force when I was 21 and served as a military surgeon for 40 years.  When I got out of the Air Force, I went into private practice.  I was a GP for 20 years, up until my wife died.  I was very discouraged and decided to retire.  Two years later, he comes this virus from China and the hospitals need all hands on deck.  But they are woefully understaffed and there aren't nearly enough medical supplies.  So I decided I needed to serve my country one more time."

"Wow.  That is incredibly inspiring."

"What else could I do?"

"Any idea how long this will last?" I wondered.

"No one can say.  Several months at the very least.  But my concern is that when things start to improve, people will try to go back to business as usual.  Which could cause a second wave of the virus that might be even worse."

"I just worry about how we as a nation will recover from this."

Buddy scratched his chin. "All depends on how you look at it.  My feeling is that this is a real chance for us to turn over a new leaf.  With any luck, people will realize to appreciate things and other people more and take nothing for granted.  That love thy neighbor and the golden rule will mean something again.  The world has become too jaded and cynical, kind people expressing warmth are routinely made fun of.  We have devolved to the point that the majority of people are selfish and most interested in what benefits them.  It's just the way of things in 2020."

"Somehow things have changed a lot since I was a kid," I told him.  "It felt like a simpler time, and people were generally kinder to each other."

"This just may be our opportunity to turn things around and make it a better world.  We can do it, Bill."\

"Buddy, you make me believe we can."

The Panera counter girl called Buddy up to order.  Once he got his food, he wished me a fond farewell.

I got a lump in my throat.  "Thank you so much for all you are doing.  Thanks for your service, both in the Air Force and now during your retirement.  You and all the medical personnel and first responders are all very brave and much appreciated.  God bless you, Buddy."

Buddy paused and stared at me for a moment.  "That really means a lot to me.  Thank you, Bill."  He walked towards the door, then turned back.  "And hey, don't forget to help out your neighbor.  Everyone needs to help everyone else right now, that's the only sure way to get through this."

As he left, I felt lucky to have met him.  What a great attitude, and the sacrifices he was making to help out others.  We can all use some inspiration right now, and Buddy was mine.

1 comment:

  1. Completely lovely. A well-told story of our times. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete