About Me

I feel the wanderlust and the call of the open highway. Which is good, because I drive cars for a living. But I'm a writer, and someday hope to once again make my living using my writing skills.

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

THE MAGIC CHRISTMAS TREE

Christmas Eve found me in Dallas, Texas this year, home of the Dallas Cowboys.  The friends I have in Dallas were out of town for the holidays so I got a motel room to stay in after I delivered the 2018 Chevy Malibu.

The drop off address was less than two miles from the motel, so I decided to walk back after the customer signed off on his new car.  It was a brisk and chilly night but it felt good to me.  Got my blood pumping.

I turned a corner and saw a large group of people all staring at something that was just out of my sight.  As I got closer my view became unobscured and I could see a tall Christmas tree floating out on a small lake.  The tree was decked out in lights and ornaments, and seeing it filled my heart with Christmas spirit.  It's the same sensation I get each time I watch IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

"Hey," I heard a voice say to me.  I looked down and saw a short boy looking up at me.  "Isn't it cool?"

"What?"

"The tree, what else?"

"Oh yes, very cool."

"My name is Joey, I'm ten years old and I believe in Santa Claus no matter what the other kids say."

"Good for you.  Keep on believing."

"I will.  Who are you?"

"Bill Thomas, nice to meet you."

"And how old are you, Bill?"  Joey was plenty precocious.

"I'd rather not say, I just met you."

"Come on Bill, don't be shy."

"OK, I am 39."  I actually stopped counting birthdays once I hit 39, just like Jack Benny.

"And do you believe in Santa?"

"I do."

"And do you believe that God's son Jesus was born in a manger?"

"I certainly do."

Joey pointed at the tree.  "See how the tree just hovers over the water?  We don't ask how or why."

"I think it's floating on a raft."

He shook his head.  "No, no, we don't ask how or why.  We just accept."

I nodded.  "Sure."

"I believe in the spirit of Christmas and Santa Claus.  I also believe Jesus was born and came to save us all.  And I believe that magical tree is hovering over the water."

Who was I to argue with a ten year old.  "Keep your faith, it will serve you well."

"Kind of like the Force?"

"What?"

"There's a movie called STAR WARS, and the Force is --"

I cut in.  "I know STAR WARS."

"The Force and faith are not that different."

"You make a good point.  Faith is good," I agreed.

"You're a nice man, Bill.  I hope good things happen for you.  I have faith that they will."

Odd people and kids seem to be drawn to me.  But I feel uneasy talking to a young person I don't know if his parents are not present.  "Where are your mom and dad, Joey?"

"Oh, I don't have any parents.  I'm an orphan."

"Joey!" I heard a woman's voice booming.  She was a large lady who seemed to have no trouble at all plowing through the crowd of people until she reached us.  "Joey, you just can't run off like that.  You have to stay near Mommy."

Joey looked at me as if something had dawned on him.  "Actually, I do have parents."

I smiled.  "I can see that."

Joey's mom looked at me  "What's my boy been telling you?  That he's an orphan?"

"Well, I--"

She didn't wait for me to finish.  "Joey, why do you tell that lie to strangers?"

"I'm incorrigible."

She grabbed his arm to pull him along with her as she mumbled under her breath.  Then she spoke up.  "It's Christmas, boy, what's wrong with you?"

Joey looked at me and pointed to the lake.  "Remember the tree," he called out to me.  "And faith and the Force."

I watched him as they disappeared into the crowd.  I was touched and full of good spirits and good will.  I'm certain that I will never forget Joey and that magic Christmas tree.  Merry Christmas, and may the Force be with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment