About Me

I feel the wanderlust and the call of the open highway. Which is good, because I drive cars for a living. But I'm a writer, and someday hope to once again make my living using my writing skills.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

SOMETHING 'BOUT A CAR

A friend asked me last week what was the best car I had ever driven in my eleven years at Drivers of America.  I pondered this question all day yesterday as I was driving in the Pacific Northwest, up the west coastline.  I mostly drive sedans, minivans, SUV and pickup trucks.  Probably more Ford and Chevy cars than anything else, even though I have driven a fair share of Mercedes, Jaguars, Volvos, and Beemers. 

I guess if it weren't for the car, I wouldn't be going anywhere.  I often tell stories of the places I go and the odd people I meet there.  But rarely do I give a shout out to the magical marvels of transport that get me there.  The automobile.  Each one has its own personality and its own story.

Although I always go for comfort, I never sat on the rich Corinthian leather that Ricardo Montalban used to go on about in his post-KHAN days.  Now there are leather seats, seat warmers, and adjustments that can put your seat into just about any position that you choose.  Oh, and did I mention the lumbar support feature?  Once in a while, I get a car with Sirius radio, and that's always a treat.

As I was thinking about the car and the drive, I thought about what I don't like when traveling.  Number one is traffic, and I go way out of my way to avoid any big city at rush hour.  Morning or evening.  I just like driving in a place where there's lots of space around me.  I always assume that everyone else on the road is about to swerve their car at me in the blink of an eye.  That way I am always prepared for anything.  But the more space around your car and distance from other drivers, the less likely that is to happen.

When I am out on a remote stretch of highway and there are no cars in sight, sometimes I wish for a little less space around me.  Times like that can make a man a little stir crazy.  If I'm tired enough, I've been known to see things.  And if I'm bored enough, I have imagined a Broadway musical being performed on the dashboard of the car.  Complete with leaps and high kicks and beautiful dancing girls.

I am going to start paying more attention to the cars I am driving.  And I might suggest that you do the same.  We often take cars for granted, but try to imagine your life without them.  It would take a lot longer to get around on foot, or horseback, or skateboard.

Cars are my livelihood, but what's more important, cars are my friends.  There's something about a car.  And as I was thinking about all of this, Jimmy Buffett came on the Sirius radio station singing "SOMETHIN' 'BOUT A BOAT."  That gives me an idea for a name for this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment