About Me

I feel the wanderlust and the call of the open highway. Which is good, because I drive cars for a living. But I'm a writer, and someday hope to once again make my living using my writing skills.

Friday, March 19, 2010

PANCAKE BREAKFAST

I was told to pick up a car in Tallahassee over the weekend. I was in Orlando, so
I rented a car to drive up in, then showed up early Saturday at the ladies' house. I saw a huge sign on the front door that stated BARE FEET ONLY IN THIS HOUSE. I looked over my paperwork, then rang the doorbell.

An excitable woman threw open the front door and said impatiently, "Yes? What? What do you need?"

"Hi. I'm your driver, I'm here to pick up your car."

"Oh! Right, right, I remember. We're having a slumber party here. Well not me, but my daughter, and all her friends are here. Do you want some pancakes?"

"Uh, no thank you."

"Are you sure? Its no problem, we have plenty. Let me fix you a big ole plate of pancakes."

"No really."

"But I made these pancakes Jamaican style."

"Sounds tempting, but no."

"You'll have to take your shoes off if you want to come in the house."

"Excuse me?"

"Your shoes, you have to kick them off before you come inside."

"Oh yes, I saw the sign on the door."

"Bare feet only in this house."

"Understood, but I won't need to come in.

"You sure?"

"Yes, absolutely."

"Because you can just kick those shoes right off your feet and come in to eat a nice big plate of pancakes."

"No, I just need the keys to your company car so I can drive it back to Orlando."

"The keys are in the ignition, where they belong."

"OK, good, that's helpful."

"Just one thing, though."

"What's that?"

"You'll have to take your shoes off before you can come into the house. I mean, if you decide you want to come in the house."

I paused to consider this. "Sure."

I did the paperwork, then as I was leaving, she came running out of the house barefooted. "Can I make you a plate of pancakes to go?"

"No, but thank you very much." And I drove off for my four hour journey back to Orlando. Overall, it was a happy Saturday for a driving fool.

1 comment: